NOVA SCOTIA ACCREDITATION
NOVA SCOTIA HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION DIPLOMA
A Nova Scotia High School Graduation Diploma will be awarded to students who have successfully completed the required subjects and electives as described below.
• The minimum number of credits required for graduation is 18.
• No more than seven of the 18 credits may be for grade 10 courses.
• At least five must be for grade 12 courses.
The following are compulsory credits for graduation:
Language, Communication, and Expression
• 3 English Language Arts, one at each grade level, or for students in Acadian or Francophone schools, 3 French Language Arts, one at each grade level
• 1 Fine Arts: Art, Dance, Drama, or Music
Science, Mathematics, and Technology
• 3 Mathematics, one of which may be a grade 10 Mathematics credit
• 2 Science: 1 from Biology, Chemistry, Science 10, or Physics, and 1 other approved Science course
• 2 others from Mathematics, Science, and/or Technology: eligible technology courses include Business Technology 11; Business Technology 12; Communications Technology 11 and 12; Computer Programming 12; Construction Technology 10; Construction Trades 11; Design 11;Electrotechnologies 11; Energy, Power, and Transportation 11; Exploring Technology 10; Film and Video Production 12; Food Technology 10,Food Preparation and Service 10, and Textile Production 10 (half-credits); Housing and Design 12; Manufacturing Trades 11; Multimedia 12;Production Technology 11 and 12; Skilled Trades 10; Textile Technology 12; and Transportation Trades 11.
Personal Development and Society
•1 Physical Education: eligible credits include Physical Education 10, Physical Education 11, Dance 11, Fitness Leadership 11, Physically Active Living 11, Yoga 11, Physical Education 12, and Physical Education Leadership 12
•1 Canadian History: African Canadian Studies 11, Canadian History 11/Histoire du Canada 11, Études acadiennes 11, Gaelic Studies 11, and Mi’kmaw Studies 10 are eligible credits.
•1 Global Studies: Global Geography, Advanced Global Geography, Global History, and Advanced Global History are eligible credits.
Within the 18 course requirements for a graduation diploma, in most cases, no student may receive credit for two courses in the same specific subject area at the same grade level. There are a few exceptions: these include co-operative education courses, Canadian Literature, family studies, Global Geography, Global History, and technology-related courses.
These requirements will apply to any student who wishes to earn the Nova Scotia High School Graduation Diploma, regardless of the year in which the student registered in grade 10 for the first time.